Make genuine and home made Indian Chai Spice with this simple Masala Tea Powder recipe. Ready with entire spices, this pleasant Chai Masala Powder is way extra aromatic and potent than any ready-made spice mix, and way more scrumptious than the syrupy, overly sweetened chai concentrates they promote on the retailer.
About Masala Tea Powder
Opposite to the American perception that chai is a selected taste of sweetened tea latte, the phrase truly means “tea” in Hindi. The beverage that has develop into famend at hip espresso outlets is definitely technically a masala chai, or “spiced tea,” and its historical past far predates the appearance of Starbucks.
This scrumptious beverage has developed over time, with the primary data of it courting again practically 9000 years to a royal court docket. The unique masala chai truly contained no tea leaves in any respect, and was a caffeine free Ayurvedic treatment used for cleaning and energizing the physique.
The trendy day model of masala chai – made with black tea, spices, milk and sweetener – began to develop into fashionable within the early 1900s, as a solution to enhance the native consumption of tea amongst Indians. Its reputation has solely unfold since then, with main worldwide retailers promoting it with the fervency of Indian chai wallahs (tea distributors).
As with most recipes on this weblog, practically each Indian household has their very own recipe for masala tea powder for making their each day chai – there’s nobody “proper means” to do it!
Extra On The Recipes
Making your individual masala tea powder means you possibly can regulate the spices and herbs to your palate, and even for a specific well being profit (e.g. lemongrass for cleansing or rose petals as a pure coolant).
The spices added to the Masala chai have many well being advantages, and masala chai is a beautiful Ayurvedic drink you possibly can have in the course of the day.
To make an genuine Indian masala chai, you’ll want your favourite kind of tea – whereas robust Assam tea is fashionable in tea outlets across the globe, I personally like to make mine with a mix of ginger-mint tea or cardamom-ginger tea.
There’s additionally no rule that you need to use black tea to make masala chai; I typically make mine with natural teas (tisanes) as an alternative.
On this publish, I’ll share with you each the essential tea masala (within the notes part of the recipe card and within the publish under), as nicely as a lemongrass model (with step-by-step images) I made after getting a giant haul of it from the market lately. It’s an incredible addition to masala tea powder, in case you have been questioning!
Please word that I didn’t have dry holy basil (tulsi) and dry rose petals once I made this recipe; in the event you can handle to get them, then do add them to the masala chai powder.
If you need to make your on a regular basis chai just by crushing a couple of spices within the mortar-pestle, then examine my simple Masala Chai Recipe.
How To Make Chai Spice
1. You have to dried lemon grass. Lower the lemongrass into small or medium sized items utilizing kitchen scissors.
Measure the chopped lemon grass and you’ll need about ¾ cup of those.
In case you should not have lemongrass, you can skip it or decide to make the Chai Spice following the second recipe listed under.
2. Measure and put aside the spices you’ll need.
- 4 items of 1.5 inches dried ginger root or about ¼ cup of dry ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons inexperienced cardamoms – 10 grams
- 7 to eight cinnamon sticks – about 2 to three inches sticks
- 1 to 1.25 tablespoons cloves – 5 grams
- 3 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 and ½ nutmeg
Under you possibly can see all of the spices you’ll need, aside from one. Are you able to guess what it’s?
3. Grind the dry ginger first.
Please word that dry ginger could be very exhausting, so that you do want a robust dry grinder or a espresso grinder, or use dry ginger powder in the event you don’t need to go to the difficulty of grinding it.
If utilizing dry ginger powder, merely combine it with the bottom spices later.
4. Did you guess what was lacking from the spices? Its an essential spice utilized in chai masala and it’s… nutmeg!
Entire nutmeg can be floor alongside the bottom ginger powder.
5. After the dry ginger and nutmeg are nicely floor, add the opposite softer spices and lemongrass to the grinder.
6. Grind all of them to a powder. You don’t must get a really wonderful powder; a little bit coarseness will do exactly wonderful.
While you open the lid, take a deep whiff – you’re going to get a robust perfume of the Indian tea spice mix that’s heavenly.
8. Retailer the dry Chai Spice powder in an hermetic container for as much as 3 months at room temperature. You may as well retailer it within the fridge to increase the shelf life.
To Make A Masala Chai Latte
Whereas making the Indian chai, add round ¼ teaspoon of the chai spice combine mix to make roughly 2 cups of tea, including milk and sweetener to style. I’ve talked about an in depth recipe under.
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon of the chai spice combine (made out of this recipe)
- 4 teaspoons uncooked sugar or as wanted
- 2 teaspoons black tea granules or black tea mud/powder
- ¼ cup entire milk or as wanted
- First warmth about 2 cups water or as wanted to make 2 cups of chai. Add ¼ teaspoon of this chai spice combine and provides the water a boil on medium to medium-high warmth. For a extra aromatic, spiced and strong chai, you possibly can add about ½ teaspoon or extra of this chai spice mix.
- Add your most popular sweetener. We principally use uncooked sugar to sweeten our tea.
- Add in 2 teaspoons of black tea granules or as required. Boil for a minute after including the tea granules.
- Add ¼ cup milk or extra in the event you like. After including milk, proceed to prepare dinner for two to three minutes.
- Change off warmth and pressure tea into cups utilizing a tea strainer. Take pleasure in!
Notice: If utilizing tea leaves as an alternative of tea , add 2 teaspoons of it to the boiling water and change off warmth. Stir to combine. Cowl with lid and let the tea leaves steep within the water for about 2 to three minutes or extra in line with your preferences. In case you like, add scorching milk and pressure the tea.
Fundamental Chai Spice Recipe
To make the only and fundamental Chai Spice recipe, first put aside the next substances:
- 2 tablespoons dry ginger powder
- 1 nutmeg
- ¼ cup inexperienced inexperienced cardamoms – 20 grams
In a spice-grinder or coffee-grinder or a mixer-grinder, grind the nutmeg and inexperienced cardamom.
Take the finely floor spices in a bowl. Add the bottom dry ginger powder. Combine very nicely. Retailer the easy and fundamental masala tea powder in an air-tight container in a cool dry place.
Together with the bottom masala tea powder, you’ll need so as to add milk powder, powdered sugar and tea powder within the premix; examine the labels of some manufacturers that promote premix powder and you’re going to get an concept. Hope this helps!
I exploit the entire thing! The husks add lots of taste too. 🙂
Completely! Merely steep the tea in boiling water with about ⅛ teaspoon of the masala combination, then sweeten it to style.
You may both be at liberty so as to add the non-dairy milk of your selection, or omit it totally. Masala chai simply means “spiced tea,” so milk doesn’t must be part of it in the event you don’t need!
No, you don’t – simply grind them straight.
Please you should definitely charge this recipe within the recipe card under if in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Chai Spice Recipe | Masala Tea Powder
Indian Masala Tea Powder or Chai Spice is a home made aromatic and potent chai spice combine made with entire spices and herbs. Make an genuine cup of Indian Chai which this mix.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook dinner Time 0 minutes
Whole Time 15 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
First grind the dry ginger items in a spice-grinder, espresso grinder or in a sturdy mixer-grinder.
- Subsequent grind the nutmeg along with the bottom ginger powder.If utilizing pre-made ginger powder (floor ginger) then merely combine it with the remainder of the bottom spices.
Lastly add the cloves, inexperienced cardamoms, cinnamon sticks, lemon grass leaves, fennel seeds to the already floor ginger and nutmeg.
Grind once more to a wonderful or semi-fine powder.
Switch to a glass bottle or a BPA free plastic bottle. Cowl tightly and retailer in a dry cool place within the kitchen or preserve the air-tight jar within the fridge.
Use the Masala Tea Powder as wanted, everytime you make an Indian chai.
Round ¼ teaspoon chai masala is ideal for two cups of Indian masala chai. Although you possibly can add ½ teaspoon for a extra aromatic and spiced chai.
- Make certain to contemporary spices that are inside their expiry date.
- You do not want to roast/toast the spices earlier than making the chai spice combine.
- Notice that the approximate vitamin information is for your complete Masala Tea Powder made with this recipe and excludes black peppercorns, rose petals and holy basil leaves.
The best way to make Fundamental Masala Tea Powder:Components:
- 2 tablespoons dry ginger powder
- 1 nutmeg
- ¼ cup inexperienced cardamoms, 20 grams
- First grind the nutmeg and cardamom in a spice-grinder, espresso grinder or a mixer-grinder.
- Take the finely floor spices in a bowl. Add the bottom dry ginger powder. Combine totally to get an excellent combination.
- Retailer the easy and fundamental chai masala tea powder in an air-tight container.
Chai Spice Recipe | Masala Tea Powder
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 237 Energy from Fats 54
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Trans Fats 0.01g
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 2g
Vitamin A 107IU2%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.2mg12%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 0.2mg10%
Vitamin C 9mg11%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 12µg11%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 43µg11%
* % Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Chai Spice Recipe publish from the weblog archives first revealed in December 2011 has been republished and up to date on 10 August 2022.