On this submit, I share another of these innumerable methods you possibly can devour potatoes, and never become bored with it and nonetheless be a fan. Though, a Child Potato Fry, this spicy dish is filled with flavors and is easy to make too. Right here, I’ve sautéed the infant potatoes with a number of the choicest South Indian spices and herbs. This Child Potatoes Recipe shouldn’t be troublesome and also you don’t even should be a professional in cooking for making this pretty dish.
About This Child Potato Fry
There are some recipes that I make typically at dwelling. And due to them being a lot in routine, they normally get missed, extra by way of getting documented and shared on this weblog right here. This Child Potato Fry is one such recipe, which I lastly was capable of share with all my readers too.
Whereas on studying the title of the recipe, chances are you’ll suppose that the infant potatoes are fried. However no ingredient is deep fried whereas making this recipe. Within the Indian vocabulary, the phrase ‘fry’ is used for the time period ‘sauté’. Since right here the potatoes are sautéed in a pan, therefore the title of the dish.
Normally at dwelling, I make this dish each with child potatoes and even common potatoes. After all, whereas utilizing the bigger potatoes, I chop them into smaller cubes or dices after which use for the recipe. However I have to say, I like this dish extra because the Child Potato Fry than the one made with common potatoes.
My most well-liked alternative of onions for this Child Potato Fry can also be all the time pearl onions or shallots, because it actually imparts a gorgeous taste to the dish. However don’t stress an excessive amount of for those who would not have them at dwelling. Use your common onions and make this dish.
One other very South Indian aspect on this spicy Child Potatoes recipe is the sambar powder. Nonetheless, for those who would not have this as nicely, make the dish with out it or use another spice powders as a substitute. Simply in case you have got time previous to this dish, click on on this Sambar Powder to have a home made sambar spice combine prepared.
I desire having this South Indian model Child Potato Fry as a aspect dish with Rasam, Sambar, Dal Fry paired with steamed rice. You can too function a aspect with Khichdi or Pongal. It actually makes for a luxurious and comforting meal. You possibly can even relish the flavors of this preparation with Chapati or Poori as nicely.
make Child Potato Fry
Prepare dinner Child Potatoes
1. Rinse and steam/boil 250 grams child potatoes (20 to 24 child potatoes), in a steamer or stovetop strain cooker. I’ve steamed the potatoes in an electrical cooker.
You can too steam the potatoes within the Immediate Pot including sufficient water as wanted. The child potatoes may also be steamed or cooked in a pot or pan on the stovetop.
For stovetop strain cooking, prepare dinner in a 2 litre strain cooker with water masking the potatoes on medium warmth for 1 to 2 whistles.
If the infant potatoes are very small or small-sized, strain prepare dinner for 1 whistle. If they’re barely bigger, strain prepare dinner for two whistles.
Let the strain drop naturally within the cooker, then solely open the lid.
2. After cooking or steaming, drain the water from the potatoes and allow them to develop into heat. After they develop into heat, peel and maintain them apart.
You possibly can maintain the small-sized child potatoes complete and as is. Halve or quarter the larger child potatoes.
When you desire the peels, maintain them on the infant potatoes.
Make Child Potato Fry
3. Warmth 1 tablespoon sesame oil (gingelly oil) in a pan. Scale back the warmth and add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds. Stir and allow them to start to crackle.
When you would not have gingelly oil, use any impartial oil like sunflower oil.
4. As soon as the mustards seeds start to crackle, add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds. Fry until they splutter and alter shade.
5. Now, add ¼ cup sliced pearl onions or ¼ cup chopped onions, 6 to 7 curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
For a gluten-free recipe, skip including asafoetida.
6. Stirring typically, sauté until the onions flip translucent.
7. Add the peeled child potatoes.
8. Stir to combine.
9. Add the bottom spice powders listed under:
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon pink chili powder or cayenne pepper – For a spicy style, add ½ teaspoon pink chili powder.
- 1 teaspoon sambar powder – When you don’t have sambar powder, add ¼ teaspoon coriander powder and ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder.
Combine the bottom spices with the components and child potatoes, in such a method that they coat the infant potatoes evenly.
10. Add salt as required and stir to combine once more.
11. Sauté for 4 to five minutes on low warmth stirring at intervals. Then, add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves.
12. Stir and change off the warmth.
13. Serve South Indian Child Potato Fry as a aspect dish with rasam-rice, sambar-rice or dal-rice. You can too have it with chapathi.
Extra With Child Potatoes
Potatoes that haven’t grown absolutely into their grownup measurement, are child potatoes. Isn’t it fairly apparent from their title? So, principally child potatoes are smaller in measurement (thus, also called chote aloo in Hindi), however have the same properties as their grown-up dad and mom. As a result of these aren’t absolutely developed, child potatoes are additionally sweeter in style.
These child potatoes may also be termed as mini spuds which may also be of various varieties, similar to a full-grown potato is. Their culinary makes use of too are as versatile and various as their father or mother counterpart. That means, you possibly can steam, boil, bake, grill, fry and roast child potatoes to make scrumptious dishes.
Whereas a lot of the instances, you should utilize child potatoes as a substitute of standard potatoes, however there are some traditional recipes like those talked about above that are finest made utilizing child potatoes. This Potato Recipes compilation can be your dream listing of all issues potato!
- Go forward and use any number of child potatoes or common potatoes to make this dish. You would additionally use new potatoes.
- You possibly can prepare dinner potatoes utilizing a steamer or stovetop strain cooker or Immediate Pot. In a strain cooker, prepare dinner the potatoes masking them with water for 1 to 2 whistles.
- In case you don’t have readymade sambar powder, add ¼ teaspoon coriander powder and ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder as a substitute.
- When you don’t have shallots or pearl onions, use chopped common onions.
Please you’ll want to price this recipe within the recipe card under when you’ve got made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Child Potato Fry | South Indian Child Potatoes Recipe
Child Potato Fry is a spicy, scrumptious recipe of child potatoes sautéed with the choicest South Indian spices and herbs. To make this South Indian Child Potatoes recipe, cooked child potatoes are sautéed with onions, herbs, spices and seasonings.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 10 minutes
Whole Time 25 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Boiling child potatoes
Rinse and steam child potatoes, in a steamer or stovetop strain cooker or Immediate Pot.
- For strain cooking, in a 2 litre stovetop cooker, cowl the potatoes with water and prepare dinner for 1 to 2 whistles on medium warmth.If the potatoes are very small or small-sized, prepare dinner for 1 whistle. If they’re barely bigger, prepare dinner for two whistles.
Drain all of the water from the potatoes. Set the infant potatoes to develop into heat at room temperature.
After they develop into heat, peel and set them apart.
Making child potato fry
Warmth sesame oil in a pan. Preserve the warmth to a low and add the mustard seeds. Let the mustard seeds start to crackle.
When the mustard seeds begin crackling, add the cumin seeds. Fry until they splutter and alter shade.
Subsequent add the sliced pearl onions or chopped onions, 6 to 7 curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
Sauté stirring typically until the onions soften and switch translucent.
Add the peeled child potatoes. Stir and blend them very nicely.
Now add the spice powders – turmeric powder, pink chili powder, sambar powder.
For a spicy style, add ½ teaspoon pink chili powder. When you don’t have sambar powder, then add ¼ teaspoon coriander powder and ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder.
Combine the bottom spices with the components and child potatoes, in such a method that they coat the infant potatoes evenly. Add salt and stir to combine once more.
Sauté for 4 to five minutes on a low warmth stirring in between. Lastly add chopped coriander leaves. Stir to combine and change off the warmth.
Serve these spicy Child Potato Fry as a aspect dish with rasam-rice, sambar-rice or dal-rice or khichdi. You can too have it with roti or chapathi.
- Instead of child potatoes, you could possibly use common potatoes. Keep in mind to prepare dinner them tender and never make them overcooked or mushy.
- When you like you possibly can maintain the peels on the infant potatoes.
- As an alternative of pearl onions, use common onions, shallots or small onions.
- When you would not have sesame oil, use a impartial flavored oil.
- Regulate the pink chilli powder as wanted in response to your spice preferences. As an alternative of pink chilli powder, you could possibly add ½ teaspoon of finely chopped inexperienced chillies.
- To make the recipe gluten-free, don’t add asafoetida.
Child Potato Fry | South Indian Child Potatoes Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 187 Energy from Fats 72
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 3g
Monounsaturated Fats 3g
Vitamin A 225IU5%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 36mg180%
Vitamin B6 0.4mg20%
Vitamin C 87mg105%
Vitamin E 0.3mg2%
Vitamin Ok 5µg5%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 380µg95%
* P.c Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Child Potato Fry recipe submit from the weblog archives first printed in July 2015 has been republished and up to date on 25 July 2022.