Right here’s a South Indian type Potato Roast recipe, which is actually simplicity at its finest. This dish has minimal components, that too those that are normally out there in an Indian dwelling pantry. Plus, it’s fast, straightforward to organize and can serve the aim of a tasty spicy facet dish. All you bought to do is to boil the potatoes and pan roast them with mustard seeds, spice powders and curry leaves.
About Potato Roast
This Potato Roast (additionally known as Urulai Kizhangu Roast in Tamil language) is likely one of the finest choices for days, whenever you wish to put together a scrumptious dish on a brief discover.
One other related South Indian method of getting ready a fast aloo recipe is that this Potato Podimas (savory and spiced cooked potatoes).
Each these recipes don’t require a lot cooking abilities and may be simply ready by bachelors and even novices. I imply you don’t must be a professional chef or stress over with the recipes of each these.
Along with these potato-based dishes, you may also do this spicy Mushroom Roast with North Indian flavors.
On this Potato Roast recipe, I’ve used sambar powder to usher in a novel zing and elevate the style profile.
Should you don’t have readymade sambar powder at dwelling, make it with this Sambar Powder recipe. Or else, put together the aloo roast with simply the turmeric powder and purple chili powder.
This aloo roast is a no onion, no garlic recipe, and is barely spicy and scorching. Nevertheless, the spices may be adjusted and there’s completely no downside with that.
make Potato Roast
1. Boil or steam 3 medium-sized potatoes until they’re simply cooked. They need to not disintegrate or recover from cooked.
You would prepare dinner potatoes in a stovetop stress cooker, Immediate Pot or in a pan on the stovetop.
If cooking in a stovetop stress cooker, then first rinse the potatoes and place them in a 3-litre cooker with water nearly overlaying the potatoes. Strain prepare dinner on medium warmth for two whistles or till they’re nearly cooked.
When the stress falls naturally by itself, then solely open the lid. Drain the water and set the potatoes apart to chill.
2. When the potatoes flip heat or cool, peel them.
3. Then cube or chop them.
Make Potato Roast
4. Warmth 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Crackle ½ teaspoon mustard seeds first conserving warmth to a low.
5. Then, add 10 to 12 curry leaves and sauté for just a few seconds or till the curry leaves flip crisp.
6. Add the diced potatoes and stir to combine.
7. Sprinkle all the bottom spice powders and seasonings:
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon purple chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon sambar powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- salt as required
8. Stir nicely, in order that the spices coats the potatoes nicely. Sauté on low warmth for five to six minutes stirring in between.
The potatoes are sautéed in a pan on a low to medium-low warmth which makes them have a crisp texture.
For a extra crispy texture, you possibly can add 1 to 2 teaspoons of rice flour after mixing the potatoes with the spices.
9. Carry on turning at intervals to make sure even crisping and roasting of the potatoes.
10. As soon as completely roasted, serve them scorching. You can too garnish Potato Roast with coriander leaves (for those who desire) or drizzle some lemon juice whereas serving.
11. Serve Potato Roast as a facet dish with sambar-rice, rasam-rice or dal-rice combo.
Potato and Indian Delicacies
You go in any a part of the Indian subcontinent, one vegetable (really a tuber) which you’ll persistently discover throughout households is the potato. I’d quite name it a staple vegetable for us Indians.
There are various veggies and inexperienced leaves that nature has for us. However the sort of love that we have now for the common-or-garden potato is one thing else solely.
So, when the basis vegetable potato is so widespread in India, clearly there are explicit dishes with potato which have variations as you go from area to area.
If not this fashion, then you possibly can even get pleasure from it with some dal-rice, rasam-rice, chapati/roti, poori, paratha and even plain dosa, uttapam, and many others. Principally, all the opposite regional varieties will also be consumed in an analogous method.
- Use both common potatoes or child potatoes to make this dish. Be certain that you boil the potatoes in a method that they maintain their form and never get mushy.
- Should you don’t have the sambar powder, make the dish with out it.
- Alter the spices as per your private likings. You’ll be able to even add some inexperienced chilies for a spicier dish.
- To make it extra genuine, you possibly can prepare dinner it in coconut oil as nicely.
- Mash the Potato Roast a bit of and use as a stuffing for dosas, sandwiches, rolls and wraps. Unfold on toasts for an open sandwich.
Please you should definitely price this recipe within the recipe card under when you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Potato Roast Recipe
This Potato Roast is a straightforward and spicy South Indian dish made with potatoes. It has minimal components, that too those that are normally out there in an Indian dwelling pantry.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time 8 minutes
Complete Time 28 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Rinse the potatoes first just a few occasions in water.
Boil or steam the potatoes until they’re simply cooked. They need to not disintegrate.
You’ll be able to prepare dinner the potatoes in a stove-top stress cooker, in a pan on stovetop or in an Immediate Pot.
For cooking in a stovetop stress cooker, place the rinsed potatoes in it. Add sufficient water overlaying the potatoes.
Strain prepare dinner for two whistles on medium warmth or till the potatoes are nearly cooked.
Let the stress fall naturally within the cooker after which solely open the lid.
Drain the water and take away the potatoes. Or take away the potatoes with tongs and set them apart on a plate to chill.
Peel the potatoes and cube them once they change into heat or are cooled.
Making potato roast
Warmth oil in a pan. Crackle the mustard seeds first on a low warmth.
Then add the curry leaves and saute for just a few seconds or until the curry leaves change into crisp.
Add the diced potatoes and stir to combine.
Sprinkle all the bottom spice powders, asafoetida and salt.
Stir nicely, in order that the masala coats the potatoes nicely. Saute for five to six minutes on a low warmth.
Carry on turning at intervals to make sure even crisping and roasting of the potatoes.
You can too garnish the roasted potatoes with coriander leaves for those who like.
Serve potato roast as a facet dish with sambar rice, rasam rice or dal rice combo. You’ll be able to drizzle with some lemon juice for those who desire whereas serving.
- As a substitute of normal potatoes, you possibly can use new potatoes or child potatoes to make this dish.
- If making the recipe with small potatoes or child potatoes, then stress prepare dinner on medium-high to excessive warmth just for 1 whistle or till the stress builds up within the cooker and also you hear the hissing sound of the vent weight/whistle.
- The potatoes will also be cooked in an Immediate Pot or in a pan on the stovetop including water as required.
- In response to your style preferences, add much less or extra of the spices and regulate the seasonings accordingly.
- If in case you shouldn’t have sambar powder, make the dish with out it.
Potato Roast Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 301 Energy from Fats 135
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 12g
Vitamin A 343IU7%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 60mg300%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 142mg172%
Vitamin E 6mg40%
Vitamin Okay 6µg6%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 623µg156%
* P.c Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Potato Roast recipe publish from the weblog archives first printed in January 2014 has been republished and up to date on 12 August 2022.