Millets are a category of cereal crops which were an necessary indigenous foodstuff for us Indians. This household consists of nutritious grains which can be used to make many Indian dishes. A few of these are finger millet (ragi/nachni), barley (jau), amaranth (rajgira), sorghum (jowar) and pearl millet (bajra), which additionally fall beneath the class of historic grains of India. This Ragi Kheer (or Ragi Pudding) is made with the flour of the finger millet. It’s a easy, fast and actually tasty dessert.
About Ragi Kheer
Ragi Kheer is that Indian dessert which you’ll be able to typically put together simply at house over your common rice kheer, and revel in along with your family members. All you want for this pudding is ragi or nachni flour (finger millet flour), milk, sugar, ghee, your primary flavorings and a few nuts.
This Ragi Kheer recipe is supremely straightforward and will get made inside half-hour. You possibly can even skip including the dry fruits and saffron in case you want to. This candy dish can also be gluten-free and fairly a hearty one. Have it in breakfast or as an after-meal dessert.
The Ragi Pudding combination must be lump-free whereas cooking. To keep away from the lumps, add scorching milk in batches and maintain stirring very nicely. Should you add milk at room temperature, there are excessive probabilities of lump formation.
Ragi is a wholesome millet wealthy in proteins, fibre, calcium and iron. Also referred to as the ‘surprise grain’ for weight reduction. Actually useful for individuals with diabetes and infants. Ragi Porridge is a well-liked and wholesome meals given to youngsters.
Thus, it’s all the time a good suggestion to incorporate ragi/nachni frequently in your weight loss program. Aside from this nutritious Ragi Kheer, you may make Ragi Ladoo, Ragi Dosa and Ragi Mudde. Whereas making your chapati and roti too, add some ragi flour within the dough and make Ragi Roti.
The best way to make Ragi Kheer
Boil Milk and Roast Ragi Flour
1. Firstly, warmth 1.5 cups of complete milk in a thick bottomed pan until it involves a boil. Put aside.
2. Then, in one other thick bottomed pan or kadai, warmth 1 tablespoon ghee.
3. Scale back the warmth to low, add 1.5 tablespoons ragi flour.
4. Sauté and stir repeatedly. Quickly, the ragi flour will flip aromatic. It takes about 2 to three minutes on low warmth. Stir repeatedly in order that the ragi flour will get roasted nicely and evenly.
5. Now, pour 2 tablespoons scorching milk. We have now used 1.5 cups scorching milk total. However the scorching milk must be added in small batches.
After including 2 tablespoons scorching milk, stir repeatedly in order that the ragi flour combines nicely with the milk. The combination must be easy and lump free.
6. Now, add 2 tablespoons extra of scorching milk. Maintain stirring repeatedly whereas including the milk. Be sure that there aren’t any lumps fashioned. We want a easy combination for the kheer.
7. Now pour the remaining scorching milk and blend very nicely.
8. Subsequent, add ¼ cup sugar or in response to style. Combine and stir nicely.
9. Add 5 to six finely chopped cashews, 2 to three finely chopped pistachios and a pair of to three finely chopped almonds. You possibly can add roughly nuts as per your desire.
10. Sprinkle ⅛ teaspoon cardamom powder.
11. Add 6 to 7 saffron strands (non-compulsory).
Make Ragi Kheer
12. Combine nicely and simmer for two to three minutes on low to medium-low warmth.
13. You will note the kheer thickening.
14. The kheer can even begin effervescent and rising. Maintain stirring the ragi kheer typically.
15. The ragi kheer must be of medium consistency. After 1 to 2 minutes, flip off the warmth.
16. Serve Ragi Kheer scorching, heat or chilled as a dessert or for breakfast.
Observe that on cooling, the kheer turns into thick. As soon as the kheer has come to a room temperature, then refrigerate.
- Flour: Use recent ragi flour which is in its shelf interval. A giant no to rancid flour. You possibly can even make this Ragi Pudding with sprouted ragi flour.
- Sweetener: Along with sugar, different sweeteners you can add on this kheer are jaggery, palm sugar and coconut sugar. Simply guarantee that the milk doesn’t curdle after including these. So, it’s best so as to add after ready for 4 to five minutes, submit the completion of cooking.
- Spices: Historically, cardamom powder is all the time added in Indian Kheer recipes. If you wish to hearken to your adventurous facet, experiment with vanilla, nutmeg powder or clove powder.
- Nuts and dry fruits: Use any of those – raisins, pine nuts, cashews, almonds, pistachios, and so forth.
- Vegan choices: Your greatest substitutes are almond milk and coconut milk. Nonetheless, take note to not overheat these after mixing with the ragi flour. Maintain the warmth to the bottom whereas including these. As soon as the milk is included, gently warmth by, and never boil or simmer. Coconut milk does curdle and separate, if boiled or overheated. Additionally, use coconut oil or any impartial oil rather than ghee.
- Scaling: Make much less or extra by halving or doubling the recipe.
- Storage: Leftover Ragi Kheer may be refrigerated after it involves room temperature. However it would thicken on cooling. So, earlier than serving, dilute the thick consistency by including some extra milk.
Please remember to price this recipe within the recipe card under in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Ragi Kheer | Ragi Pudding
Ragi Kheer is a candy pudding made with ragi flour (finger millet flour), milk, sugar, cardamom powder, nuts and ghee. A straightforward recipe that comes collectively in half-hour.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 10 minutes
Complete Time 20 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Roasting ragi flour
Then in one other thick bottomed pan or kadai, warmth ghee.
Scale back the flame. First add 1.5 tablespoons of ragi flour.
Roast and stir repeatedly. Quickly the ragi flour will launch its aroma. It takes about 2 to three minutes on low warmth. Stir repeatedly in order that the ragi flour will get roasted nicely.
Now add 2 tablespoons of scorching milk.
After including 2 tablespoons of scorching milk, maintain repeatedly stirring so the ragi flour combines nicely within the milk, the combination must be easy and with none lumps.
Subsequent once more add extra 2 tablespoons of scorching milk, repeatedly maintain stirring. Be sure that there aren’t any lumps fashioned. We want a easy combination for the kheer. Now pour the remainder of scorching milk and blend completely.
Observe that we have to add a complete of 1.5 cups of scorching milk. However we’re including first 4 tablespoons of the recent milk in two rounds in order that there aren’t any lumps within the kheer.
Add ¼ cup of sugar and blend once more.
Add chopped cashews, pistachios and almonds.
Sprinkle cardamom powder and saffron strands.
Making ragi kheer
Combine once more and simmer for two to three minutes on low to medum-low warmth. You will note the ragi kheer thickening.
The kheer will begin effervescent. Maintain stirring the kheer typically.
The ragi kheer must be of medium consistency. After 1 to 2 minutes swap off the warmth.
You possibly can serve ragi kheer scorching or heat or chilled as a dessert or for breakfast.
Garnish with sliced or chopped almonds, cashews or pistachios or a couple of saffron strands whereas serving.
Do notice that on cooling, the consistency of ragi kheer will change into thick. When the kheer has come to a room temperature, then refrigerate it.
You may also refrigerate any leftovers. On cooling ragi kheer will thicken.
Earlier than serving, combine a little bit of milk to dilute the thick consistency and heat or warmth the milk in a small pan.
- Ragi Flour: The ragi flour must be recent and in its shelf interval. Ensure that it’s not rancid. You may also make this kheer with sprouted ragi flour.
- Sweeteners: You possibly can add your selection of sweeteners, however do guarantee that the milk doesn’t curdle after including sweeteners. For sweeteners like palm sugar, coconut sugar and jaggery, it’s best so as to add them after a ready of 4 to five minutes as soon as the cooking is full.
- Nuts and dry fruits: Numerous nuts and dry fruits like raisins, pine nuts, cashews, almonds, pistachios may be added.
- Vegan choices: Almond milk and coconut milk work greatest on this recipe. Nonetheless do be sure to not overheat these nuts milk after you combine with the ragi flour. When including, maintain the flame to the bottom. As soon as all of the milk is included, merely warmth by gently. Don’t boil or simmer. Coconut milk will curdle and separate if boiled or overheated. Use a impartial oil or coconut oil rather than ghee.
- Scaling: You possibly can halve or double this recipe simply.
- Spices: Historically, in most kheer variants, cardamom powder is all the time added. If you’re feeling adventurous, experiment with vanilla, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder or clove powder.
Ragi Kheer | Ragi Pudding
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 224 Energy from Fats 90
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 5g31%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 1g
Ldl cholesterol 23mg8%
Vitamin A 202IU4%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
Vitamin D 2µg13%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 9µg2%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Ragi Kheer recipe submit from the archives first revealed in September 2016 has been republished and up to date on 12 July 2022.